Monday, July 11, 2005

NY Times Article (Op. Ed.)

I knew there was a reason I read The Onion.

I would like to submit as Evidence Point #1 (don't worry, there's only 1) - Paul Krugman's Op. Ed. piece Un-spin the Budget

Specifically (for those of you who aren't registered users of the NY Times, and can't read the article from that link... and for emphasis):

To understand where the budget deficit came from, you can't do better than the Jan. 18, 2001, issue of the satirical newspaper The Onion, which predicted the future with eerie precision. "We must squander our nation's hard-won budget surplus on tax breaks for the wealthiest 15 percent," the magazine's spoof had the president-elect declare. "And, on the foreign front, we must find an enemy and defeat it."

Go, Onion, Go! Way to break that story before it even happened. It makes me glad inside.

Then I remember the content of the story... and I go back to being depressed, resentful, and without hope for the current situation. Go, Red States, Go! Fuck us all with your concern for "morals." Because we have to make damn sure the President isn't geting his dick sucked and lying about it. It's way better when he just lies about everything. Wankers.

I'll end this bright fucking ray of sunshine with another quote from the article:

In other words, we're still deep in the fiscal quagmire, with federal revenues far below what's needed to pay for federal programs. And we won't get out of that quagmire until a future president admits that the Bush tax cuts were a mistake, and must be reversed.

Yay. That's actually what I'm waiting for. I don't really expect any kind of vindication/revelation where all the voters that put Bush in office collectively slap their foreheads and say "Doh!"

I'm just waiting for some time in the future, when we have a different president, more open to transparency of government, who peers into the truth surrounding the Bush administration and says "That's some fucked up shit." Then I won't be villified as Satan incarnate when I proclaim that "Bush sucks and should never have been elected/appointed President." I'll finally have some "hard proof" to point to... that is, if future presidents can pay someone to tape together the shredded mess of "documents" they'll no doubt inherit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home